Rematerializing The Digital: Assessing Tangible Design Interventions i…

Page info

Name Juntae Kim Date20-07-17 11:24 Hit61 Comment0

Contents

Abstract

In this study, I identified the roles of rematerializing the digital by designing and developing interactive products through several iterations and by conducting user’s usability and (aesthetic and emotional) experience in the office and home. Accurately, the three designed products in the study are presented in a realistic and intriguing direction with four aspects (four digital information, Design for the user environment, actuation for digital information, and cognitive coherence for interaction).
In order to reveal the authentic experiences and needs of the users and to provide practical guidance for designing future rematerialized digital devices, I chose a qualitative user study method by conducting the use of research products in the office and home for a short-term and long-term period. I found not only common usability but also different experiences according to the feature of digital data, form, interaction, usage periods, and use environment. In particular, I identified the value related to the presence of technology embedded independent tangible devices in their space (on their desk). In this section, I identified the value of improving access to information: reducing checking steps, and evoking behavior change. Next related to the changing shape to deliver information, this study suggested the value of premeditating negativity for inducing positive interaction and controversial factors about tangible input. Lastly, this study suggested three ways to revive analog things with the digital device and the method to maximize the practicality of the device by combining related functions. Based on these findings, I also identified eight suggestions for designing the future rematerialized device. I categorized them into three perspectives for functional, interaction, and form design aspects. Through three design iterations, finding, and discussion, I hope that these findings and discussion make new research fields about rematerialization. I also want to give guidance and references for future research.

Comment list

No comment